This coconut rice is the perfect balance of sweet, delicious and fluffy. Great served with chicken or vegetables over stir fry. You will want to snack on this all week long! The turmeric in this recipe is optional, but it gives the rice a nice vibrant yellow color.
· ¾ cup (14 oz.) can of Coconut Milk
· ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
· 1 Teaspoon Sugar
· 1 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric, (Optional)
· 1 Cup of Jasmine Rice, rinsed
· 2 Cups Water
· ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
· Colander or Strainer
· Medium Non-Stick Pot with Lid
1. Rinse rice in a colander with warm water. Set aside.
2. In a medium non-stick saucepan, add the water and salt, bring to a boil.
3. Stir in the rice, sugar and ground turmeric (if using), and let the water come back to a simmer. Using a wooden spoon or silicon spatula, stir the rice again, cover the pot with a lid and let simmer on low for about 15-17 minutes.
4. Every 5 or so minutes, take the lid off and make sure the rice is cooking evenly, give the rice a nice quick stir and place the lid back on.
5. Once the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, remove from heat.
6. Take off the lid, and fluff rice with a fork. Add in the coconut milk and fluff again with a fork. Put the lid back on and let sit for another 5 minutes so that the rice absorbs the coconut milk.
7. Take off lid and fluff again with fork and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
· Don’t skip rinsing your rice! This is a very important step in achieving fluffy perfectly cooked rice. This also helps get rid of any extra starch.
· When cooking rice, I like to follow the ratio of 2:1, 2 cups water to 1 cup rice.
· Make sure you are using a non-stick pot that is big enough to hold rice once it cooks and expands.
· I like to use a clear glass lid so that I can check on the rice without taking off the lid to make sure it is not burning.
· Do not leave your rice unattended! Rice can burn very easily, so make sure you are peaking at the rice every 5 or so minutes to stir around rice and make sure it is not burning.