Cheddar Rosemary Crackers
These are the perfect make-ahead snack to keep on hand during the holidays. I originally shared this cracker recipe for the Monogram Appliances virtual holiday cooking demonstration in conversation with my friends over at Laura U Design Collective!
Yield: 36 Crackers
· 4 Oz Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Coarsely Grated
· 4 Oz White Cheddar Cheese, Finely Grated
· ¾ Cup Flour
· ¼ Teaspoon Dry Mustard
· 1 ½ Teaspoons Kosher Salt
· 1/3 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
· 1 Tablespoon Paprika
· 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Softened and Cut into Small Pieces
· 3 Tablespoons Fresh Rosemary, Finely Chopped
· 2 T Water, Plus More If Needed
· Garnish: with flakey salt
1. In the bowl of a food processor, place all the ingredients except the butter and water. Pulse 5 times. Add the butter and pulse again until the butter pieces are the size of BB’s. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse just until the dough holds together. If the dough is still crumbly, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it reaches the right consistency.
2. Turn the dough out onto a large piece of wax or parchment paper. (I also like to roll dough on a Silpat mat to avoid dough sticking to my cutting board.) Roll the dough into a log 9 or 10 inches long and square off the ends. Wrap well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. (You can freeze the dough for up to 1 month. You may want to cut the log in half or in thirds prior to freezing if you think you’ll want to defrost a small amount at a time.)
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Cut the log into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the slices about 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the crackers are a light golden color. Turn the crackers and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until they are golden around the edges.
5. Cool the crackers on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature.
Notes: The crackers make the perfect homemade gift for the holidays or just an all around delicious snack to keep around the house!